The Sacrament of Reconciliation
Baptized children of our parish normally receive the Sacraments of Reconciliation and Holy Eucharist for the first time in Grade 2. In order to be prepared properly, children must attend classes in a Catholic School, in the parish religious education program, or in the home using an authentic Catholic curriculum. Because of the importance of these two sacraments, children in our religious education program must attend class on a regular basis in both Grades 1 and 2. Older children who have not received the Sacraments Reconciliation or Holy Eucharist must also be in class for two years prior to the reception of these Sacraments. Classes specially geared to prepare older children for Sacraments are scheduled as needed.
The Sacrament of Reconciliation is celebrated on a Saturday in January at 10:00AM.
Required components of this Sacramental program include:
- 1 Mandatory parent meeting for First Penance (Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 7:00PM).
- 1 Mandatory retreat day for children for First Penance (Sunday, January 8 from 9:15AM-12:00PM… Includes Mass and lunch. Children do not report to regular RE class this day)
Parents can also help their children prepare for the sacraments by:
- Regular attendance at Mass on Sundays and holy days of obligation
- Praying together as a family: grace before meals, morning and night prayers, etc.
- Participating together in the life of the church and parish
- Serving as an example by living faithfully as a Catholic in everyday life.
Mass and Prayer